Christian wives are often expected to be obedient, submissive, Spiritual, and supportive. But what does this mean in practice? And is it really what God wants from us? In this article, we will explore the biblical definition of a good Christian wife and discuss how to be a godly wife in practical terms. We will highlight qualities, characteristic, rules and roles of a good Christian wife.
An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.Proverbs 31:10
At the end of the article we will conclude with some bible verses and books every godly woman should consider reading to make them even better wives.
My husband and I run premarital counseling for Christian couples. A great program to help couples prepare well for marriage. In one of the session a woman asked what it really means to be a godly woman.
This was an important thing to her because she wanted to prepare well for her future godly husband. Many Christian women are struggling with this idea of being a godly wife because there is really not much information out there that highlight the characteristic and qualities of godly wives.
Our top rated books for godly women even Christian woman should read;
- Habits of a Godly Woman By Joyce Meyer
- 10 Women of the Bible Who Changed the World through Prayer by TD Jakes
- Forgiving What You Can’t Forget
Try Your first month free Kindle unlimited find the best books
Here we go,
What does it mean to be a good Christian wife? Being a good Christian wife encompasses many roles and responsibilities, but ultimately it comes down to loving your spouse submissively and unconditionally, working alongside him in harmony and following Christ passionately.
8 Qualities of a Good Christian Wife
A good Christian wife is someone who is humble, patient, and kind to her own husband. She should also be supportive of her husband’s faith and encourage him in his work. A Christian woman also takes care of her own spiritual well-being and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Here are some qualities of a good godly wife.
Committed to the lord Jesus
From the very beginning of your Christian walk, you should be committed to the Lord Jesus Christ. As a wife, this means having a personal relationship with Him and being obedient to His commands. It also means living out your faith in everyday life by sacrificially serving others and bearing fruit in your relationships. These are just a few of the ways that being committed to Jesus will benefit both you and your husband.
She is Faithful.
Faithfulness is a virtue that is highly regarded in many cultures and religions. It is often seen as being important for maintaining a strong relationship with God. Faithfulness can also be seen as a key component of successful marriages. Wives who are faithful usually have a strong sense of morality and are usually good at following through on their commitments. They are typically reliable and have a high level of integrity.
She is Devoted.
Wives who are devoted to God’s word and to their own husbands often display a lot of love and care for them. This can be seen in the way they interact with them, the way they care for them, and the way they go out of their way to make sure that their husbands are happy. Devotion is often a very strong emotion and can be difficult to explain to those who haven’t experienced it firsthand. Those wives who are devoted to their marriage vows often feel an intense connection with their partners.
She is Submissive.
God’s word is clear that wives should be submissive to their husbands (Apostle Paul talks about it in Ephesians 5:22-33). While this obedience may not always be easy, it is one of the qualities of a Christian wife. This obedience goes beyond following instructions blindly; it means cooperating with and supporting your husband in his chosen path in life. It also means being willing to sacrificially give yourself to him, physically and emotionally. A Christian wife who exemplifies these qualities will be greatly appreciated by her husband and will bring great joy into his life.
She is forgiving.
A good Christian wife does not allow her husband to bring his past mistakes into their relationship. She has made up her mind that she will forgive him and love him even if he makes a mistake again in the future.
She is patient.
A good Christian wife listens attentively and allows her husband the time he needs to express himself fully.
She is loving.
A good Christian wife has a heart full of love for her husband and is willing to sacrificially serve him in any way possible.
Respect their own husbands
There are countless reasons why a wife should respect her husband. From the moment you marry, your husband becomes virtually your head. He is in charge of your household finances, manages your time and resources, and makes decisions that affect your life. It is important for a wife to show respect for her husband and to understand his wishes and needs. Demonstrate kindness and understanding towards him, even when you don’t agree with him. Make sure to keep communication open so that you can work together as a team.
Should have a quiet spirit
There is a saying that goes, “A quiet spirit is a sign of a healthy mind.” This proverb There is a saying that goes, “A quiet spirit is a sign of a healthy mind.” This proverb rings true for godly women as well. Not only are they called to have godly spirits, but they are also called to be humble and gentle. This means that their minds should be focused on God and His will rather than on their own desires or thoughts. You would be surprised how much peace and contentment can come from being still within yourself. When you focus on being still, others will find it harder to push you around or take advantage of you.
5 Characteristic of a godly wife
A godly woman is someone who is of high standard, kind, compassionate, understanding and does not put unrealistic expectations on her husband. She is someone who puts others first and strives to be a good role model for her children. She is also someone who is loyal and honest, and who always puts God first in her life. Most Christian husband desires such a woman.
- A woman after God’s own heart
- The fruit of the spirit in a woman’s life
- A woman of strength and dignity
- A wife who is pure and modest
- A woman committed to prayer
A woman after God’s own heart
There is no one answer to what “A woman after God’s own heart” means, because it is an individual journey. However, the phrase encapsulates a person who has been radically changed by their relationship with God and has become more like Him in personality and behavior. This transformation may be evident in how that person relates to others, their service to God, and their attitude towards life.
A Woman Filled with the Holy Spirit
To be Spirit-filled is to be happy and content in who you are and what you have. A married woman who is full of the Spirit lives a life of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness and forgiveness. She is gracious and kind to others, often serving as an example for how to live. The fruit of the spirit also means that a woman has a deep understanding of her own heart and what brings her happiness.
In the Bible, a godly woman is described as someone who is virtuous, kind-hearted, and caring. She is someone who loves God and follows His commandments.
6 The role of a godly wife in a Christian marriage
The Scriptures teach that a godly wife is an essential part of making a Christian marriage work. God designed a godly marriage to be a partnership between a man and woman, one that has mutual respect, with both giving and taking in order to keep the relationship healthy. A godly wife is one who is obedient to her husband, provides helpful support, and fills the role that God has designed for her in a Christian marriage.
In order for this partnership to thrive, wives need to be willing to submit to Christ and also to their husbands as outlined in Ephesians 5:21-33. This means that she should:
1) Behave with purity and reverence towards her husband.
2) Be supportive and encourage her husband in his walk with God.
3) Be compassionate, forgiving, and understanding towards her husband.
4) Pray for her husband and for the family as a whole.
5) Serve as an example to her children of what it means to be a godly woman.
6) Encourage her husband in his ministry within the church.
Why biblical rules for wives are important
A godly wife should abide by these six biblical principles in order to maintain a healthy relationship with her husband. These principles include: being truthful, being patient, not gossiping, honoring her husband, and being willing to forgive. These principles will help keep the husband and wife united in love and help them grow closer to God.
10 Bible verses about godly wife
A good Christian wife is one who upholds the values and teachings of the Bible.
- Ephesians 5:22-24 22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
- Titus 2:3-5 3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
- Proverbs 31:10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
- Colossians 3:18 18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
- 1 Peter 3:1-5 3 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands,
- 1 Corinthians 7:4 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.
- Genesis 2:18 18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.
- Colossians 4:6 6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
- Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
- 1 Corinthians 11:3 3 But I want you to understand that (A)the head of every man is Christ, (B)the head of a wife[a] is her husband,[b] and (C)the head of Christ is God.
In conclusion, being a Christian wife is about fulfilling your roles, exhibiting qualities and characteristics that reflect Christ, and ultimately glorifying Him in all the days of your life. It is a challenging but rewarding journey, and with God’s help, you can be the best wife you can be.