Whether you are newly married or have been married for years, reading the Bible together can bring intimacy and a closer relationship.
There are many different books in the Bible that can be read as a couple, and each one has its own special message for couples.
Couples ask what book of the bible is good for them to read together. For starters, the New Testament is a great starting point. 1 Corinthians, Ephesians, and Philippians have teachings on love, forgiveness, and dealing with difficult situations. For Old Testament Psalms, Songs of Solomon and Proverbs are the best.
Scripture is one of the most important tools that we have in our relationship with God.
When we use scripture to help guide and shape our relationship with Him, It can lead to a deeper connection and a stronger bond between us.
This article will outline some basic steps on how to apply Scripture to your relationship, and hopefully, give you some helpful pointers on how to start using it.
If you wish to read devotionals together, we have compiled a list of the “best devotionals just for you here”.
- 6 Christian books for couples struggling in their marriage
- The 25 Books Couples Must Read Together
- 15 Top Biblical Counseling Books of 2022 (Christians Premarital)
- Hypothetical Relationship Questions: A Guide to Sparking Meaningful Conversations
Let’s dive in.
Where should couples start reading the Bible?
When it comes to reading the Bible, where should couples start?
There are a few options available, and the best place may depend on each couple’s individual situation.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
For those who have never read the Bible before, starting with Genesis is a great option.
It tells the story of creation and sets the stage for the rest of the Bible.
Another option is to start with one of the gospels, such as Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.
We recommend the Gospel according to John it’s the best for those starting their journey of faith.
These books tell us about Jesus’ life and his teachings. If you’re not sure where to start, there are many resources available that can help you choose a starting point.
The YouVersion bible App has a variety of reading plans for couples that can help you get started reading God’s word together.
The best chapter in the Bible for relationships
When it comes to relationships, there is no shortage of advice in the Bible.
Here is the best chapter in the Bible for relationships.
1 Corinthians 13 is the best chapter in the Bible for relationships. This chapter is often referred to as the “love chapter” because it talks about love in such a beautiful way. It says that love is patient and kind, and that it always protects, trusts, hopes for, and perseveres.
1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.
This chapter is a great reminder of what true love looks like. It’s a reminder that we should never give up on each other, no matter how difficult things get. We should always be there for each other, no matter what.
If your are currently going through a difficult season either you are together or separated consider marriage counseling. We think it help solve a lot of the problems we face in relationships and with online counseling available you shouldn’t have an excuse.
bible stories to read with your spouse
One of the best ways to bond with your spouse is to read Bible stories together. Not only will this improve your relationship with God, but it will also give you both a chance to discuss difficult topics and passages.
There are a few key Bible stories that every couple should read together.
The story of Adam and Eve is a great way to start, as it sets the stage for many of the other stories in the Bible.
The story of Abraham and Sarah is also very important, as it teaches us about faithfulness and obedience.
The story of Jesus’ birth, death, and resurrection is essential reading for any couple. This story reminds us of God’s love for us, and it also shows us how much He sacrificed for our sake.
Here are 5 other great stories to read with your spouse:
- The story of Ruth and Boaz is a beautiful story of redemption and love.
- The story of Jonah and the whale is a great reminder that God is always in control.
- The story of Moses and the Exodus is an inspiring story of faith and courage.
- The story of David and Goliath is a classic underdog tale that reminds us that God is always on our side.
Why read the bible together?
When couples read and discuss the Bible together, they can reap a number of benefits.
First and foremost, studying God’s word together helps build a strong relationship. Secondly, it can help couples grow in their faith and understanding of God.
Finally, reading the Bible together can give spouses opportunities to apply certain biblical principles to their relationship. E.g., the principles of love, patience, forgiveness, etc. This can come in handy, especially during conflicts or difficult times.
Related Post: The best 25 Books For Couples To Read Together
11 Benefits of reading the Bible together as a couple?
The Bible is a source of wisdom and guidance for couples. Reading the Bible together as a couple can be fun and rewarding, as well as provide many benefits.
Here are 11 benefits of reading the Bible together as a couple.
- Reading the Bible can help deepen your relationship with each other.
- Help strengthen your communication skills.
- It can help you learn more about each other and appreciate each other more.
- Help you learn to trust God in difficult times.
- It can lead to deeper spiritual growth and understanding.
- Help you understand how to love and serve each other in the relationship.
- It can help you grow as a person, learning more about the character of God.
- Help you understand how to be a better wife, husband or parent.
- It can help you to understand God’s plan for you and your marriage.
- Couples who read the Bible together are more likely to have a successful marriage.
- The Bible equips couples with wisdom to Fight temptation together
4 Ways on How Couples Can Read Scripture together
There are several ways couples can read Scripture together. One way is to have one person read while the other person listens. Another way is for both people to read and then discuss what they read. A third way is for one person to read while the other person records their thoughts using a journal or a notepad. The fourth way is for one person to lead the reading and the discussion and then the other leads prayers afterward.
- Choose a passage of scripture to read together
- Talk about what you are reading
- Reflect on how the scripture applies to your life and your relationship
- Agree on what you’re working on
- Close with prayer
We recommended using you-version bible plans for couples.
How to Apply the scriptures to your relationship
Scripture is one of the most important tools we have in our relationship arsenal. It can help us build bridges between us and God, and it can help us understand and fulfill our role in His plan. When we use scripture to strengthen our relationships, we are honoring Christ by following His example.
Applying scripture to our personal relationships can be a very helpful way to grow closer to God and build stronger connections with others. Here are six tips for applying scripture to your relationship:
- Start by reading the scriptures out loud together as a couple. This will help you get familiar with them and connect with the spiritual lessons they contain.
- Pray together as a couple, asking God to help you apply his teachings in your specific relationship. He can provide guidance and strength for both you and your partner.
- As you read and pray together, discuss the scriptures together. Ask questions like: What does the verse say about the issue at hand? How does this apply to us as a couple or family? How can we apply it in our lives? What is the best way to apply it in our lives?
- Pray together and ask God to help you make changes in your relationship, if necessary. Ask him to give you strength and guidance as you work through these changes.
- Document the promise God reveals to you in a journal or notebook. There are over 8,000 promises in the Bible so you should have at least one every day.
How can you make reading the bible together more enjoyable?
There are many different ways that people can enjoy reading the bible together.
- Choose easy-to-read versions of the Bible that are geared toward modern readers. This will make the reading process more enjoyable for everyone involved.
- Use a study guide: A study guide can help make reading the bible together as a couple more interesting and informative.
- Find a passage that is relevant to your life: When you find a passage in the bible that is relevant to your life, it can be more meaningful and interesting to read.
- Have a theme or topic to discuss each week. This will help you stay focused while reading, and it will also provide a common ground for discussion.
Bible Verse on Relationship
Relationship advice Bible verses.
- The book of Proverbs is full of relationship advice that is still relevant today.
- Love: 1 Corinthians 13 is often referred to as the love chapter and is a great source of inspiration for those in love.
- Conflict: Ephesians 4:32 encourages Christians to resolve conflict in a constructive way.
- Forgiveness: Colossians 3:13 urges believers to forgive each other as God has forgiven them.
- Hope: Romans 8:28 promises that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him.
Related Post: 19 Best Bible Verses on Dating & relationship
The New Testament is a great place to start when reading the Bible with your partner. The teachings on love, forgiveness, and unity can help couples grow in their relationship with each other.
If you are looking for further reading, consider checking out the book of Song of Solomon. It is full of romantic poetry that can help couples appreciate each other more.